Ah, the memories of that blue box. “Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco Treat!” That was my favorite part of dinner growing up and even into adulthood. Then along came the idea to eat healthier which was soon followed by that ugly little thing I call Gluten Intolerance.
Getting tired of plain rice, or even plain rice jazzed with a little chicken broth, I set out to search the web for the perfect chicken rice recipe. Imagine my surprise when within a few clicks I came upon Homemade Chicken Rice-A-Roni from Stolenmomentscooking.com! Ok, so I’m halfway there. A quick look through the ingredient and I know I can pull this together. Even better! No trips to the store for special ingredients!
So, I made a few tiny modifications and here you have a Gluten Free Rice-A-Roni! This is so good that we’ve made this about three times in one week.
- Approx. ¼ lb gluten free pasta
- 1 cup white rice
- 4 tablespoons Frontier Chicken Flavored Broth Powder
- Approx. ¼ teaspoon salt
- Approx. ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Simply Organic Garlic N Herb Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Approx. 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups water
- Break the pasta, I used fettuccine, into small pieces.
- Combine all of the seasonings into a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a pan, then add the rice and pasta. Stir frequently until it starts browning.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and the bowl of seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Lower temp and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.